Robot Power Sources - Drill Batteries

Herobone

Robot Power Sources - Drill Batteries

Post by Herobone » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 09:32

Hello there,

We are currently in the conception phase of our robot and while shopping in our local Aldi we found Drill Batteries on sale. So we thought of using those for power in our Robot since they offer a quick change, often integrated protections, sturdy cases (so protection from external harm) and a relatively high energy density.

Those batteries are Lithium-Ion bases so they would fall under the, let’s call it “LiPo Bag Clause”. But there is also the exclusive clause which allows power tool batteries to be used without a LiPo Bag. So are we allowed to use a drill battery in our robot without a LiPo bag since it was not modified. The only thing that would speak against using them this way would be the sentence “ used for the intended purpose” but in my eyes using a battery as a battery is the intended purpose ;-).

We discussed this in our team and came to the conclusion that this should be fine and should even be safer than normal LiPos, since the Hard Case and integrated protection protect from almost all harm except fire, but we do not plan to set our robot on fire, nonetheless.

A answer to this question in the near future would be really appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Julius on behalf of MAI-Robotics

Refereeing referent
PMI

Re: Robot Power Sources - Drill Batteries

Post by Refereeing referent » Wed 03 Nov 2021, 10:49

Hello there,
Do you have the data sheet of your battery or at least the internet link to the seller?
The commission will discut it soon.
Référent de la commission arbitrage Eurobot / Bénévole Planète Sciences
Eurobot Refereeing Committee Referent / Planete Sciences volunteer

Herobone

Re: Robot Power Sources - Drill Batteries

Post by Herobone » Thu 11 Nov 2021, 15:20

We would use these batteries. There is a answered question that says it has integrated protection
https://smile.amazon.de/ACTIV-ENERGY-LI ... B07XM89NMG

Sorry that this is german, but I‘m only shopping on German Amazon for obvious reasons when I‘me from germany :-)